Wednesday 11 August 2010

Last day

Tomorrow I officially leave behind the first quarter of a century of my life. I am turning 26. Doesn't feel any different to any other birthday, and why should it? Although the amount I'm baking recently it would seem it might be affecting me ever so slightly.

I think I've mentioned this before but I bake when I'm stressed or upset or angry. When I'm channeling bad emotions. Baking clears my head, calms me down, and gives a sweet treat at the end of it. So its all good.

Last night I baked chocolate and raspberry brownies. They started out as white chocolate and raspberry brownies but the white chocolate melted and the dark chocolate merged into one and there was no trace of white in the finished product. But it really didn't matter.

When they were ready and cut in squares, they were still warm. The raspberries were juicy and squishy and warm. The brownie was a chocolate overload - in a good sense - and kind of gooey in the middle and crunchy on top...just the way I like them. But wow. Luscious was the word my mum used. Several times. And for a woman who doesn't eat many sweet things, she went back for a second...and a third.

In hindsight, I wish I had taken a photo. But I doubt it'll be too long before I make them again, so I'll take a photo then - perhaps with white chocolate actually visible - and post it then.

Post script: Have to say thanks to Aoife in work for passing the recipe my way, and to Rachel Allen for publishing it.

No comments: