Sunday 19 August 2018

Fear of Missing Out.

I am a strange anomaly. I love order and structure and knowing exactly what’s happening in the coming days and weeks. But I also love spontaneity, although this has a bad habit of showing itself as impulse buying concert tickets (did that two weeks ago) or flights (did that two days ago). I don’t know if it’s due to FOMO or if it’s some deep seeded motivation to find happiness, but whatever it is it is bad for my bank balance!

The flights I booked two days ago are unlike any I’ve booked before. Because I have booked a city break but I have no idea where we’re going.

My boyfriends birthday is in November and once my own birthday is done with I start thinking about his. What on earth to get him? After a decade together I can no longer surprise him, and there’s only so many times you can buy someone a signed book or print. So I started looking at trips. My first instinct was the Bubble Domes in Fermanagh, but as we live right down south of the country and his birthday is in November I figured it was too unpredictable and too awkward to get to. Spending money to sleep in a bubble in an Irish winter seemed like a possible waste. It rains here more often than not, and as much enjoyment as I get out of watching the rain drip down the side of a window, I don’t think it’s exactly a birthday treat.

So I remembered a website I had come across last year, srprs.me, that offers to take the stress out of planning your trip. You tell them when you want to go and how many people are travelling, and they do the rest. You don’t find out your destination until you are In! The! Airport! 

A friend of mine laughed when I told her I had booked it, saying she thinks I won’t be able for it, that she can’t see me relinquishing control over the hotel and flights and, more importantly, the end destination. But I think that’s exactly why it will be a good thing. He and I travel a lot but its usually to the same few places, visiting family and friends, or going to shows and gigs. And I do the majority of the planning. This will be somewhere completely new and just for us. And with none of the stress that goes into the planning.

This will be a different kind of stress. Wish me luck!
 

No comments: