Thursday 16 August 2007

Letter To Someone

Hi,
I've been thinking about you again. It hasn't happened for a while but well, here I am. I was lying in bed, the darkness overtook me but sleep refused to. I closed my eyes and saw your face. It brought back memories. Memories of walks we took together; the conversations we had. Memories of things you said to me that I'm sure you must have forgotten. Memories I sometimes think I would like to forget.
You said that I had charmed you, do you remember that? That night we met and spoke properly for the first time, you said I had charmed you and that you wanted to get the chance to know more about me. Do you remember saying that? I doubt it, but I remember. It's not something you tend to forget - being told you're charming. Although I've found I do like to remember genuine compliments. Everyone compliments everyone these days, so I like to pick out the genuine ones and keep them close to me. That one honest phrase from you meant more to me than most other things I heard that year. And that - if you'll take it - is a genuine compliment.
You said you would be there for me whenever I needed you, and you were as good as your word. I remember calling you quite late one night after getting some bad news and now knowing who else to turn to. I remember trying to disguise my voice so you wouldn't hear it shaking but you saw through me instantly. You turned up on my doorstep a half hour later and let me cry on your shoulder until the early hours of the morning, purely because you knew I needed you.

No comments: