Saturday 1 September 2007

Three Months On

Surprisingly three months of working with tourists and dealing with their unending requests for irons and remote controls and channel 4 has flown. I thought this summer would drag on, and there were some days that did seem as long as a month, but it's over. Yesterday was my last day. And I'm not sure that I'll miss it. It helped me discover that I don't like:
A) working with tourists;
B) working in an office and
C) talking on the phone.
I kind of knew all these before hand but they're definate in my mind now.

But on the flipside, finishing means I have about two weeks before I go back to Hull, which I'm looking forward to but am nervous about at the same time. This is my third year. My FINAL year. My last shot. I never thought I'd go to college, let alone finish a degree and I'm two thirds of the way there. I'm sort of reluctant to leave Tramore now. No matter how much grief I give about this town it's still my hometown. I know everyone and everyplace - both have good and bad points to them. Hull is still a relatively strange place to me. I know my little world, the streets I go to and walk on but there's so much more to it I don't know yet, and probably won't.

The next trick is figuring out what I want. This being my last year people have begun to ask me what I am going to do when I finish, and the honest answer is I don't know. I'm not even 100% sure what I can do. I know what I would like to do. I'd like to travel. I'd like to finally read all the books I've wanted to read. I'd like to fall in love. I'd like to see every continent. I'd like to own a bookstore, maybe in mainland Europe. I'd like to learn to speak french properly, not just the small bit I can remember from school. I'd like to be an Editor. I'd like to write childrens books. But the reality is much different - for the time being anyway. I'll probably end up in some office job I intensely dislike for a few years, so I can pay off loans and then save some money. Then.....who knows?

Open to suggestions.....!

No comments: