Sunday 16 September 2007

Accents

And that makes three! Three times in three days I've been mistaken for being American. I wonder what it is?
Yesterdays case of mistaken nationality was kind of funny though. I went to Planet Coffee to meet a friend, Erica, {who happens to be american} and a man in the queue in front of me overheard us talking. When Erica went to find seats this man turned around and said to me how it was nice to hear American and Canadian accents for a change, what with there being so many Europeans in Hull now. He asked where abouts in the states I was from, which was when I corrected him, told him I was actually Irish. I had assumed that wearing my Irish rugby jersey would have given that away but apparently not. However we did end up discussing the England match from the previous night, and with his being scottish, he had enjoyed the outcome as much as I had.

I currently hate the fact that I'm a student. I have an invitation to go down to Surrey for a night later this week, stay in a hotel for a night and not have to pay for it. And the major bonus side would be seeing a friend I haven't seen in months. The downside?? Travel. It would cost above and beyond £70 just for travelling down and back. I've worked all the hours God sent this summer, and for what? So I can pay off loans and rent and be sensible with my money.

It's times like these that I wish I wasn't quite so level headed, and was maybe a bit more spontaneous and care-free. But things are as they are and I am what I am, so I'm staying in Hull.

No comments: