Thursday 21 February 2008

Busy Busy Busy

Election Update!
This week has been kind of crazy. Monday at about 12:30, Harri - the current VPAR - reminded me of a meeting I was supposed to attend in Scarborough with him that night along with the other VPAR candidates, to get a feel for the job, get a chance to meet some Scarborough student reps and have a mini q&a. So We left Hull at about 4:30 and got back at about 10! It was a long evening. Well worth it, but a long day. I was out of the house from 10:30am til about 11pm!!

Tuesday - was that only yesterday? Oh man, it's been a long week - saw the beginning of the madness that is election fever. 10am - by the union clock settings - saw dozens of students in the union foyer putting posters up on any available space. It was madness! There was hands, paper, blutack and elbows everywhere. I have to say, I'm being a bit too relaxed about it all. I just wasn't all that motivated about the posters. Yes I know they can make a difference in people voting for you, but it's such a waste. The union looks ridiculous covered in sheets of green, yellow, pink and white with slogans and photos splashed across them. And then today half of them were underfoot, instead of infront of face! And that doesn't include the ones pulled down by angry students. There is some controversy regarding one of the candidates, but since it's all ongoing at the moment, I can't actually say anything specific about it.

Tuesday night - We had what is called Hustings. It's an opportunity for all candidates for all positions to get up, give a speech and answer some questions. The idea was that each candidate would get two minutes to give a speech, then once all had given their two cents, there would be two rounds of three questions put to the candidates, who would then take it turn to answer, with only a minute on the clock. When you think the number of candidates running for Pres is 6, for AU is 5, and the average for the rest is about 3, you can see how it stretched into a long night. We got out of there at about 10:45. But it was good, did me a lot of good to get up in front of a - small - crowd and tell them my opinions and positions for the job.

Today, thankfully, was not quite as busy. Had a radio interview about the election, which was a lot easier than I expected it to be, and that was it election wise!

Wow, when I put it into words I realise just how much I've been doing. I'm still wondering why, I mean do I honestly really want to do this? I think I do....I just want something to convince me.

Life Update
So outside of Election Fever I've not been up to much to be honest. Sleeping, remembering to eat, and not just junk food. Those are kinda my main two priorities outside of elections. But, tomorrow, at 6pm, I will be clambering onto a bus, driving down to Dover, across the sea to Calais and then on to Paris. Three day, the most beautiful city in the world and me!! I cannot wait. But at the same time, part of me doesn't want to go anymore. I'm getting a cold, my back is in agony most of the time - another story - and its bloody cold out! I've been wearing a hat, scarf and gloves every day the last week! We had snow all day yesterday! It's just mental! But it should be fun. Not so sure I wanna do the touristy thing again though. There's a couple of places I want to go back to, but I'm more interested in maybe finding a quirky pub and brushing up on my french with some randomers. That could be fun.

No comments: