Saturday 3 May 2008

Long time coming

I've been meaning to write about this for a while, and I kept forgetting, but I saw something today that prompted me to actually sit and write. When I was younger, early teens, I used to spend my Saturdays in the city, shopping, hanging out with friends, what you'd expect teenagers to do. On these days I used to see a variety of people, but the ones that used to always catch my attention were the goths. Now in winter they're not that surprising to see, but in summer they used to astound me. Dark clothes attract the sun, making you warmer. Big leather coats equals even warmer still. Piercings, dyed hair, shaved hair - these are all part and parcel of the goth look. And I know in the media {film, tv etc} they are portrayed as a nuisance, or as depressed, or just a bit of trouble. But the thing is, Goth's are people too!! I know, it sounds silly to say, but I've wanted to say it for a while. A lot of my friends are - well, not goths, but close to it. I have a bunch of friends whose wardrobes consist of black, black and some more black. The girls might stretch to purple or pink or red now and again, but generally its black with black. I had a house party a week ago, and I invited this particular bunch of friends. A girl I know when she found out this lot were coming, declared that she might get drunk before coming to mine, because they're my 'scary' friends. Why is that? Why is it that people find people in long leather jackets, dark hair and piercings frightening or intimidating? Some of my best friends are geeks and goths!!! Photos from Rocky Horror will hopefully show that! Assuming I'm allowed take photos.

Oh, and the thing I saw today that prompted me to write this? I was walking up Princes Ave today, about lunchtime, and across the road was a guy dressed head to toe in black with long flowing dark hair. Black t-shirt, black jumper tied around his waist, black trainers and black shorts! Yeah, SHORTS!!! I found it entertaining!

No comments: