Monday 2 June 2008

Balls and Boyz!

Nici leaves tomorrow. It's been a good week, but flown by pretty quickly. I've loved having her here, though I'm not so sure she picked up on that. It's been a strange week for me, strange few weeks actually. I'm so lost about what to do. I keep making vague plans with friends and realising that really I can't agree to anything because I have no idea what I'll be doing or where I'll be doing it. People keep asking what I'm going to do, where I'm going to go, what my plans are....all I can do is shrug my shoulders, shake my head and tell them I have no idea. Seems like I'm not the only one though, which does make me feel that bit better.

Anyway, back to Nici, we had an interesting week. Lots of shopping, not many purchases. Lots of walking, not much sleep. And lots of music! Friday night was the Boyzone concert down in London, which despite my initial "Oh my god, what am I doing?" feelings, was a fantastic night. The two support acts were less than great but they were entertaining. The Boyz were brilliant. They may have aged, but so have their audience. I actually felt quite young while looking around me. The four women sat to my right were all well over 40.
There was one moment when I felt quite old however. One of the boyz was introducing a song and he made a comment about how it was 15 years since they had recorded it. FIFTEEN YEARS!!!! I was 8! Susan, Nici and I all looked at each other in shock and started laughing. It felt weird to know I've been listening to their music - albeit on and off - for that many years. Which means I was about 9 when I first saw them live in O'Sheas. Wow! But all in all, a good night. The trip down took us a lot longer than we would have liked, but thats mostly due to the fact we're not very competent travellers.

The End Of Year Ball was last night, and it ended up being quite a good night out. Not as much fun as last years ball, but still a brilliant night. Nici seemed to enjoy it too, which is good. Her, Tom and Roland seemed to have fun. I took - and Ben took - quite a few photos, so once I have them loaded I'll put some up. If for nothing else but the dresses. Which, I might add, it took me forever to find. I bought my dress for the ball at about 2pm yesterday afternoon. But it worked out well, I loved it. Was a little doubtful to begin with, but by the time the night was ending, I was in love with it.
As for events at the ball, one friend informed me I'm one of the most important women in his life, which made me feel happy. As simple as it sounds, it made me feel happy. He is one of the people I have met here that I intend to still be in touch with in my 60's. When, I might add, is about the time he thinks we'll end up getting married. Another close friend told me he thinks I'll be really close to his children. I told him I better be. His response was along the lines of: "Well, lets face it, you'll probably be their mother." Which is kinda sweet, in a weird way. I even managed to make one friend cry - well, almost - with words. We were talking, and yes he was a little drunk, and he said some sweet things, and I informed him that when we first met early in our first year he was a boy, and I've seen him grow into a man in the three years we've known each other. He smiled and almost cried. Which was nice payback, since he's one of the two people who have seen me cry in Hull.

Anyway, I'm gonna stop for now. Sleep is needed.

No comments: